I trust we all could look at certain habits in our lives and know that some things need to change. You don’t need me or anyone else to tell you what those habits are. But here is what we all need to realize, we become our habits. We transform based what we give attention to not on what we want to give attention to. Attention, not intention, makes all the difference.
But it is even bigger than that. Habits are what sustain us in the good seasons and in the bad seasons as well. It has been said that habits create sustainable action out of chaotic energy. With all that is crazy in your life, it is right habits that are going to keep you moving in the right direction.
With that said, here are some key habits to have in your toolbox no matter what you do and no matter who you want to be:
- Be a learner – You never can learn enough. Find ways to always be growing. This includes being a reader. Even if you hate reading, you will not regret having read something. Get around people who are smarter than you.
- Pursue feedback – Find those who will be honest and critical. Learn to realize that you are not the event, the idea, the talk, or the moment. So you can take the review no matter how hard so that you can get better.
- Be accountable – Engage in a path where you are forced to defend the “whys” of what you do or did. This forces you to make sure you are not just deceiving yourself and that you are actually delivering on what you should be.
- Turn it off – Find ways to shut down from the thing you are pursuing. No one is designed to be on all the time. A crucial habit is learning to rest and resting consistently.
- Review your habits – Take the time to review the reality of your habits. Are you actually doing them? Are they effective? The habit may not change, but the way you live out that habit may need to. Some habits are forever, some are not.
In the end, our habits are going to make us. So let’s get in the habit of having great habits.