I am in a slump or at least I feel like it. Before I go further, this post is not meant to be a personal pity party. I am not looking for a bunch of “hang in there Keith” or “you are doing great” responses from people. I just want to write some stuff to get it out of my system and to keep processing it. Maybe you can relate. Whatever line of work you are in, you feel like you can not get what you are called to do done. You feel like the golfer who will never make a putt again. Or the salesperson who will never close a deal. Or the artist who is unable to create a new great piece of art and can not even find the inspiration to begin. I have been here before, and I know that it does not last forever, but the funk, the slump, the drought is annoying…
Here are some ways I feel like I am in a slump…
- I have not been able to find some solutions or even helpful direction for some people going through really difficult times. I feel like I am not delivering to those I am sent to minister to.
- My leadership has been sub par lately. I have not been as creative, spirited, focused and effective as a leader in the recent past.
- I see big cracks in the ministry of Grace Fellowship and instead of wanting to fight, I want to hide. That is not like me. I normally see the challenge and get launched to want to solve it.
- I have tried some things recently or pushed some things lately that I thought would generate bigger wins in our church than they actually did. That kind of bums me out.
- A few families have left our church and I feel like my words and service to them did not matter. It is really challenging to give to people with all you are and to see people walk.
Yet through this all…I have hope. God is good. The slump will end. I feel better just writing this. Maybe one of you can identify. Hang in there. Let us push through this together.